A new curling season is about to begin (right after the Thanksgiving holiday) and the club is getting ready for a new season of curling! Now that summer is leaving us all of the volunteers, and our Manager (Ken Hall), are gearing up for another great year of league and bonspiel excitement. Just a couple of points to note:
- All members must sign up, and pay, using the Curling I/O system. It will be “active” as of September 5th. This is our 3rd year with this program and it works very well. For detailed instructions click on the “Curling I/O” link at the top of our webpage.
- League fees have remained the same as previous years. For all League info click on the “Leagues” link at the top of the page or on your specific League in the right margin of this page.
- The Ice-Tech team has started the ice making process with the hope of having the ice ready for a “practise week” starting October 3rd. At this point it looks like we’re on track for this to happen … stay tuned!
- We will again host a “Learn To Curl” session for new curlers. This is a 4 week course jointly sponsored by Liesure Services and the Curling Club. For more info please check out this Fall’s “Active Living Guide” and contact the Recreation Complex to register for this course.
- Stick Curling will start on Monday, October 17th at 11am. Bill Rand is looking forward to welcoming everyone back and hoping that even more members will join this exciting alternative curling league.
- NEW THIS FALL – We will be hosting an “Open Doubles League” on Tuesday evenings. This league will be 4 weeks long this Fall as we try out this new format and learn from the experience, with the hopes of having a full length league from January – March. As stated above, at this time we are planning on it running Tuesday night concurrent to our Sponsors League, depending upon ice availability. Start date is Tuesday, November 1st, running for 4 consecutive weeks. Depending upon the number of teams registered we may have to schedule 2 draws each night; 6:30pm and 8:00pm. Cost for this first league is $50 (plus applicable club and association fees). We encourage members to sign up early for this league (as with other leagues, you must sign-up using the Curling I/O link on our website) so that we can start planning and scheduling to start this Fall.
- Our first Bonspiel will be an ice-breaker type of Mixed Doubles funspiel on Saturday, November 5th. As more details are planned we will let members know.
- Club Bonspiel Dates – This year’s Men’s and Ladies Joint Bonspiel will be Friday – Sunday, February 3rd – 5th. Our Mixed Bonspiel will be held Friday – Sunday, March 3rd – 5th. While these dates are a long way in the future, please save them now so you aren’t disappointed due to a double booking down the road.
As stated above, we are all getting excited about this coming season so please get your team(s) together, register with Curling I/O, and dust off your curling gear in preparation to curl in the first week of October …. Good Curling!
As you may already know, the WLCC has been very active in pursuing grants and other funding in order to complete our accessibility project of installing an elevator, improving our entrance/exit doors, and updating our washrooms to accomodate all people at our club. We have now completed phase 1 (elevator) and once contractors become available we will be getting to the next two phases. This is very exciting for our club as we can accomodate new groups of curlers and allows more opportunities for rental of our upstairs lounge and rink area. Thanks to the Executive members hard work on procurring grants and to the contractors who made this project happen so quickly …. it’s a great way to start a new season …. with new and exciting opportunities!
OTHER TYPES OF CURLING
STICK CURLING LEAGUE – This has become so popular that Stick Curling is now two days every week …. Mondays starting at 11am and Thursdays at 1pm. Bill Rand is the organizer and he asks that curlers arrive about 30 minutes early so that teams can be determined and equipment obtained. Everyone is invited upstairs afterwards for some great social time! For more info click here.
DROP-IN CURLING – This has become a very popular activity for family and friends on Saturday evenings from 7 – 10pm. Cost is only $10/person for non-members and members curl for free. The club supplies all equipment needed and a lesson for people wishing to try out this amazing sport – all players have to wear is some warm/stretchy clothing and clean indoor runners to wear on the ice (please carry these in … no outdoor footwear allowed on the ice!). A helmet is suggested for all beginning curlers, and is mandatory for everyone 12 years and under. Come on down and join us when the season starts in October.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
If you want more info, after thoroughly checking out our web page, you can follow us on FaceBook (Williams Lake Curling Club), email the club at firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone us at (250) 392-4636. Someone will get back to you promptly! Please remember to tell your friends about all of our great leagues and programs! Good curling …..
- Curling I/O opens on September 5th
- Rink opens for practise on October 3rd
- Leagues start on October 11th
- Stick Curling starts October 17th @ 11am
- Juniors start on October 22nd
- Mixed Doubles Funspiel, November 5th
- Men’s/Ladies Bonspiel Feb. 3rd – 5th, 2023
- Mixed Bonspiel March 3rd – 5th, 2023
RECENT PAGE UPDATES
Home Page – September 21st, 2022
League & Registration Info Page – September 5th, 2022
Bonspiel Page – Feb. 27th, 2022
New Curlers – Ethics, Etiquette & Rules – April 8th, 2020
Curling I/O Registration – September 5th, 2022
COVID-19 – Feb. 16th, 2022
School Curling Program – Oct. 3rd, 2021
Drop-In Curling Program – Feb. 20th, 2022