History of the Williams Lake Curling Club
The Williams Lake Curling Club, established in 1947, operates as a not-for-profit society.
- The inaugural club executive was elected on March 6, 1947, with Tony Woodland as President, Ken Rife as Vice-President, James Muirhead as Secretary/Treasurer, and Directors Claude Huston, Tom Winston, Jack Smedley, Herb Gardner, and Roderick Mackenzie.
- The actual rink was not constructed until 1949, with Tony Woodland re-elected as President, Owen Kerley as Secretary/Treasurer, and Ken Rife as the liaison officer between the executive and the rink manager. Membership fees were set at $12.50 per year, and the club initially had two sheets of ice in a rink attached to the Cariboo War Memorial Arena.
- The Ladies Curling Club was established in the autumn of 1950, led by President Merle Bishop and Secretary Flo Kelt. By 1952, the club had grown to 20 members and joined the BC Ladies Curling Association.
- In 1957, a Quonset-style rink with three sheets of ice was built on Borland Street, serving as the club's home until 1977 when a new facility with more sheets was needed. The current location of the club was established in 1977.
- The Williams Lake Curling Club, founded by Tony Woodland and other original members, is now a thriving community hub, hosting various annual events and bonspiels.
The community's unwavering support and Irene Stangoe's contributions (Club History) have been instrumental in preserving the club's legacy and success.